From: John Graves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> We did buy a Corvair....Replaced a MG Sports Sedan...My wife's
> contribution our marriage, the MG that is  Why was every one surprised
> that a rear engined car was steered by the rear weight.  Fitch Chevrolet
> in CT ( I think) prepared Corvairs that would keep up with a lot of so
> called Sports cars.   But GM never really solved the oil leaks in the
> pancake engine.  As an aside, I saw a pretty Corvair at a local Car
> show. It had twin hollies and the owner claimed it went like spit.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John Graves

Chevrolet didn't market the Corvair as a sports car. They marketed it as
a family economy car with more room than a Volkswagon.

The problem with the steering was it didn't under-steer like every other
U.S. made automobile, and a lot of people had accidents because it took
them by surprise.

GM's response to the problem was to ignore it and hope it'd go away,
which let Nader get his foot in the door.

I almost bought one as my first car, but when I took it to the mechanic
my dad used, he pointed out the substantial oil leakage, as well as some
bad body rot in the sills & floorboards.

I ended up with an old Bel Air station wagon instead.