pentax-discuss-digest at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> <major snip>
> I expect I have mentioned this before, but I truly believe that
> aspiring photo artists (and I think most on this group fit the
> description in one way or another) owe it to their craft to use
> medium format equipment.
> I can work my tail off to get good results from 35mm, I can nail
> down my exposure and process the film just right to make sure
> the image is on the sweet part of the curve, and still not have
> an image as technically good as a hack medium format negative
> where I have barely paid attention to the meter, and sort of
> half assed slopped the film around in the chemistry for a while.

I have to agree, with the caveat that medium format cameras are seldom as
pleasant to use. They tend to be a bit antediluvian and clunky, and because
there are so many more configurations there are fewer variants available of
any given type. Most of them tend to be good for one thing or another, but
few are useful for everything. The P67II is very nice, but try taking
candids in a restaurant; the RZ67 does closeups but isn't very portable; the
Mamiya 7 is portable and you can use for those candids in public, but you
can't get a long lens for it; etc., etc.

If you do your own printing, medium format is wonderful. It's so much more
sensible as a photographic fine printer's medium.

--Mike