On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 9:38 AM, John Sessoms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Rubik's Cube is a lot easier if you just peel all the stickers off
> before you start.

My middle daughter (who just started college fer gawd's sake!) was
around 2 1/2 or 3 when the Rubik's Cube craze hit our part of the
world.  We had several of them around the house and we told her that
the idea was to get each side to be all the same colour.

You see where I'm going here, right?

One afternoon, with great pride, she showed my then-wife and me her
progress:  she'd manipulated things so that almost two sides were
completely the same colour.

I worked on one for days and days to get maybe one and a half solid
sides;  we thought she must be some sort of a genius, a child prodigy,
~something~!

We got busy calling Harvard, Yale and Oxford seeking her early
admission, lining her up on the Tonight Show and Merv Griffin, but
before any of them got back to us, we spied her (I think it was a day
later), pulling stickers off and replacing them in the appropriate
places.  She really wasn't cheating, we just never explained it to
her.  Hey, she was showing real problem-solving skills, eh?

Oh well, we came back to reality with a thud.

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." -Henri Cartier-Bresson