I've had very good experiences with Pentax Service in the past. It's
just this one time.

My K100 D was sent in last year because paint chips from somewhere had
gathered on the focusing screen, some covering the text display. I
might have been able to clean it myself, but:   a. I wanted to know
where the paint chips were coming from, and   b. I've scratched more
than one focusing screen when removing or installing them on my LX,
PZ, and MX cameras.

The camera came back good as new. They even replaced the dented and
scratched cap on the control dial.

And I've had my LXs into them on several occasions for CLA at which
time they replaced the shutter box for the newer version with out
being asked. Although they did not replace the top cover as I had
asked on one of the LX bodies, but instead painted over the brassed
and dented parts with thick black glossy paint using a small brush.
Looked like I'd done it myself on a bad day. Guess they no longer had
the part, or didn't want to go through the resealing process. And they
repaired two AF280 flash units for me good as new. (for a stiff price)

So I was really just wanting to see if their service quality was going
downhill in general, or was it just this one instance.

50/50, it seems.

Much better than Kodak, who refused to repair my 2 year old LS 443
digital, offering instead to sell me a newer upscale model refurb LS
540 for $20 more than they were selling them as refurbs on their
website. I called them on it, they held firm. Gee - never had a Kodak
camera (nor bought any film) since. (still have plenty of film in the
freezer - god knows when I'll ever use it)  :-)

Joseph McAllister
Pentaxian