On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Scott Loveless <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> frank theriault wrote:
>> For the bike retro-grouches among you (hello, Scott?):
>>
>> http://mondociclismo.blogspot.com/2008/09/things-from-seventies-we-dont-need-to.html
>>
>> Fortunately, we don't see many of these around anymore...
>>
> Man, those things are horrible, dangerous and just plain ugly.  I
> actually see quite a few of them around here.  Mostly sidewalk cyclists.
>   We get a lot of cheap 70s road bikes at the co-op.  One of the first
> things I do is yank those nasty brake levers off and either replace
> them, if we have something better, or cut the pivot bolt down so the
> suicide levers won't fit any more.  Those things are a good way to get
> yourself hurt.  The bike industry should have known better and flat bar
> (yuck, for personal reasons, not safety) road bikes should have been the
> norm long, long ago.
>
> Nice pic, Frank.  I always enjoy your ciclismo photos.  Thanks for posting.

Yeah, we see them around here, too, but usually they're all bent to
crap and affixed to rusting hulks o' steel.  This one seemed to be
particularly well taken care of - not just the lever, but the whole
bike was pristine, even the foam handlebar wrap.  Lousy backgrounds
prevented me from taking any other pix that looked half-decent.

I had one bike that had those brakes.  It got stolen.  I went bikeless
for about ten years after that.  Need I say more?

;-)

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." -Henri Cartier-Bresson