On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 08:58:27PM -0400, Doug Franklin wrote:
> frank theriault wrote:
>
>> When I was a teenager in the '70's I had a subscription to Road and
>> Track and I remember every year some sponsor had a list of all the
>> champs from the various SCCA classes.  Sure enough, there's Paul
>> Newman, champion in some production class or another.  I did a double
>> take - read the name then looked at the photo to see if it was the
>> same Paul Newman, and sure enough it was.  I had heard he raced cars,
>> but had no idea he was ~that~ good.
>
> If I recall correctly, he was champion of the SCCA GT1 class, maybe more
> than once.

In the mid-80s he had a kick-ass Datsun Maxima.  It was a project car for
one of the car mags, and they fitted the engine from a 280Z, and added a
turbocharger (or supercharger).   I know this because at the time we had
an '83 Maxima wagon.  It was quite capable off the showroom floor - it
basically used the engine from a 240Z.  I can only imagine what it would
be like with a whole lot more power (and better suspenson & brakes).