AlunFoto wrote:

If you stayed with the "GFM Sold" thread to the bitter end, you may
have learned some interesting stuff about vegetarians, and that I was
grumpy about having screwed up my computer by failing to upgrade the
BIOS.

Well, this story has a good ending.
The computer is back, with the same RAID, on the same disks, but a
brand new motherboard with a different RAID controller. I believe what
saved the day was that both RAID implementations were by Intel, and
that the new BIOS was backwards compatible to the old drivers already
present.
I went from a ICH8R-based to a ICH10R-based controller, and only
afterwards I have found this to be consistent with the findings at the
"Tom's Hardware" forum:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/RAID-MIGRATION-ADVENTURE,1640.html
They tested compatibility between versions up to ICH9R.

phew. :-)

As last time, another incoherent account can be found in my blog if you bother.

Cheers,
Jostein
Eow!  Glad it worked out for you.