There is value in obtaining some distance from your work so as to see it objectively. But there is also value in reviewing your work very soon after you do it so you can learn what it is you did on the shoot. Both are necessary.

I review all my shoots as soon as I return to my desk afterwards. I look to see what I did wrong and what I did right, I often do a quick sort and grade effort, maybe pick a few for immediate printing and web display.

Then I move on and continue working. I go back and review what I picked, and what I didn't, at a later time depending upon what project I am interested in pursuing then. At that point I find that some of my picks aren't interesting to me any more, and some of my rejects are.

What I pick, and why, ultimately depends on what photo project I'm putting together. The project has embedded within its concept what I intend to do with it ... for exhibit, competition, etc etc.

Godfrey