Satellite comms and mobile telephony have really changed life in
developing countries - where previously people couldn't communicate
easily across distances because their govts couldn't afford to build
and maintain the cabling infrastructure, now it's cheap and easy. It's
an incredible change.

Flying into Marrakesh in the evening I was struck by the number of
satellite receivers pointing at me. I didn't photograph it through the
plane window because at that time I knew I'd left my batteries &
charger behind, and had to conserve juice. But the entire city, which
is a kind of monochrome mud colour of buildings, bristled with them.
I'd say there were hundreds of thousands, possibly millions, of
satellite dishes peering upwards.

Bob