On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Ralf R. Radermacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Stupid old me <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> M/S Hornbay getting an overhaul in Dunkirk. She normally sails on a
>> fixed route between Antwerp and Costa Rica as a banana transporter.
>>
>> http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/770012/display/14567274
>
> Sorry, wong address. Here's the correct one:
>
> http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/display/14567577

In the 1930's my grandfather used to work on the banana boats that ran
between the Caribbean and Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. When my
grandmother was pregnant with her third child (my father, as it turns
out) she told him that if he didn't get off the boats he'd come home
to an empty house after his next trip.

The next day he got a job as a stevedore in Halifax, the job he
eventually retired from.

None of this has anything to do with your photo, but I think of that
story whenever I hear the words "banana boat".

Wonderful photo, as always, Ralf.  Maybe one of your best.

cheers,
frank