A bit of an update on my project, if anyone is curious that is:

The project has been to pick my 100 favorite shots in 35mm B&W from the past
20 or so years, from the time I entered photography school in 1982.

I ended up with about 260 (?) "possibles" after going through thousands of
prints. First just picking the obvious inclusions--the things I couldn't
imagine leaving out--I ended up with about 50 pictures. The remaining 200 or
so I've been showing to friends and family to get their reactions and

However I'm not sure any more that this project is really possible. From
some shooting projects I've done I haven't even picked one picture, and
actually from some cameras I've shot with I haven't picked a single picture
either.

As the project has gone on I've become concerned about the number of prints
I can't find--as my memory is jogged I've thought of dozens of finished
prints that haven't turned up yet. I'm sure they're in boxes in the basement
I haven't yet searched, but I'm more than a bit chagrined at my casual
filing and storage methods. With all the work and time I have put into
printing over the years, I  should be more careful about the results.

I've also been remembering great negatives that I have never really printed
yet. One of my deceased grandmother comes to mind.

With only 10 places left I'm starting to winnow things out of the selection
so far to make more room. One problem with this is that many of my favorite
pictures are very "quiet" pictures, offhand and plain, not obvious "hits."
As I edit down, I think too many of these are being left out.

I guess the frustration about this comes from the fact that there is not
much difference in quality between the "first" 100 and the "second" 100. I'm
not saying they're interchangeable, just that there are so many favorite
pictures left out of the first 100 that maybe the leftovers are not so much
weaker.

This has certainly been interesting, though. I've got to finish my new
darkroom.

--Mike