Ralf R. Radermacher wrote:

ann sanfedele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Not only do you have a wonderful eye but you are so damn good at night
shots - something I stink at, that I'm always impressed.
And it's indeed so easy. Put cam on tripod, do a series of shots from 20
(or 30 if it's really dark) to 1 secs, convert the RAWs to TIF, shove
them into Photomatix. A little scaling, sharpening and tone correction.
That's all there is to it.
Ralf, I admire your prowess - not just the nuts and bolts technical stuff, but your eye..
And your subject matter - the grittiness of the industrial landscape.

When I was shooting with my LX and still travelling to places where I felt safe being out side with a tripod and expensive gear _alone_ I did bracket extensively and also let the excellent LX metre do it for me... I did some night stuff I was happy with - but not a lot... I can count on my fingers the night shots I took that I liked. Not my genre :-) although I did use one night shot back in the 1980's as the post card for one of my shows - It's on line but it is a low res scan and pretty awful - I wouldn't point it out here.
You really ought to try it some day, Ann. With the usual festivities
ahead, have a go at the illuminations on your Main Street. You'll be
surprising us with your very own night-shot Xmas card in no time.

Ralf

There are a few on the list that are probably bent over with giggles on that suggestion for me for oh so many reasons...Frank, Mark Roberts, Godders and Bill Robb, for instance :-) (About as likely as Mike Johnson photographing kittens and flowers - not sure if you were on list long enough to remember him or not - but you may have read his online mag).

But, seriously, just to address the nighttime aspect and the physical, I can't carry a tripod at all anymore,my eyes are extremely sensitive to glare so even being out at night is uncomfortable... I can look comfortably at photos such as yours to see that kind of scene - couldn't look at it in real life without considerable discomfort. My old eyes can't shift from dark to light easily...

As to the giggles "Main street" doesn't really exist in the middle of New York City. I've made Xmas cards that are comical - but only for commercial purposes these days . Very rarely I might send someone a New Year's Card who sent me a holiday card of one kind or another and I never see in person anymore. And they guys know I'm an atheist , too :-)

I'm chatty because I just work up from a nap -- sorry if this was TMI

ann
annsan.smugmug.com