On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 5:33 PM, David J Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:56 AM, David Savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> 2008/10/16 William Robb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>> One of the boys walked into the studio yesterday with a D3.
>>> I got to play with it, and I got to print a file that he had shot at the
>>> local police academy.
>>> The thing is as big as a 6x7, but I have never used a camera that performed
>>> as well as it did.
>>> The file I printed was shot at ISO 2500 (I believe that's what he said, I
>>> didn't check the EXIF), showed absolutely no banding, no noise, no VPN, in
>>> fact, it showed nothing but goodness and love.
>>> I don't know if Pentax needs to make a clone of it, but it sure would be
>>> nice to have something that performed half as well with a K-Mount.
>>
>> The D700 is really nice too. Handles like a dream.
>
> My counter part in the equine game tried a D3, and did not like
> looking at the 57 AF points. Felt it was a major distracrion.
>
> Is the D700 the same, Dave. Still have not made it to the store for a look
> see.
>
> Dave

D700 and D300 both use that basic AF unit as well. You can set the AF
system to 11 selectable AF points via custom function (and the camera
will still pick from all 51 when you tell it to pick automatically,
but you can only select from 11 in a D2-style layout when selecting
manually).

The AF systems on the high-end Nikon's are astoundingly complex and
configurable. Your counterpart should have spent a bit of time
configuring the AF system to his liking.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca