Fortunately they're getting darn cheap nowadays.

I just bought another one, in a pretty nice enclosure,
with both firewire and USB 2.0 interfaces:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165067

I got mine at Frys - it was on special for $90.

Prices on 1TB units seem to have come down below $150, too
(though not from Buffalo - they still want closer to $200).

I needed something to ship across the country - instead of having
my own NAS fileserver in the house I've been offered space on a
RAID server owned by a friend of mine (plus hosting, and faster
Internet access that I have in the house).  But loading up the
initial 400GB or so I want to put there would take a long time;
the fastest way to move the data is to ship it on an external
drive.  I could have got something cheaper, but I've been using
one of these units for a while now, and am well satisified, so
having an identical unit as a hot spare seemed like a good idea.