On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 05:06:03PM -0400, Scott Loveless wrote:
> On 10/23/08, Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > John Francis wrote:
> >

> > > Unfortunately it gives the cops yet another excuse to harass you if
> > > you try and take photographs of anything going on.
> > >

> >  That may, in fact, be the point...
> >  :(
>
> So you tag team them.  Show up in pairs and approach from opposite
> sides.  The one without the vest makes an ass of himself.  While the
> coppers are harassing him about his no-vest-cardinal-go-straight-hell
> sin, the one with the vest walks in unnoticed and shoots whatever the
> hell he wants.  It's a win-win situation.  The cops get their daily
> dose of power trip and you get your photos.  If Mr. No Vest plays his
> cards right, he'll probably just get a warning.

Oh, I doubt it.   Here in San Jose we're just beginning to see the
first inquiries into the local police's over-enthusiastic enforcement
of the "public drunkenness" laws (no breath test or blood test needed;
all that is needed is for the cop to decide he doesn't like what you
are doing).  One guy was thrown into jail overnight, reportedly just
for trying to record a strong-arm arrest using his cell phone camera.

In any case, you can only show up in pairs if you know what's going
to happen.  If you just come across a developing situation you'd
better not try and photograph what the cops are up to if it means
you have to set foot on the roadway.