It's been a long long time since I've filled up my hard drives with LimeWire downloads that I hardly or never used, and I understand the corporate need to perpetuate.

That being said, I get cranked every time I run into the invisible wall created by the collusion of hardware and software producers, causing you to HAVE to upgrade your software to run on the newer hardware, which you HAVE to buy because the software producer ceases support for the older versions. Not a problem for the corporate worker- bees, or government drones, but a substantial burden on the self employed or retired.

Most of what I do today I could still be doing in PS 4, Pagemaker 4, Quicken 2000, and AppleWorks. But none of those will run on current equipment, or are no longer around nor have any support, no minor upgrades to run on newer hardware, not even an upgrade 'path'.

The worst is Quicken, who forces you to upgrade at full price every 3 years, as they roll off support for the older versions. My Quicken 2006 will not run on my iMac under 10.4 or later, and there is no upgrade path. I just want to use it to keep track of my checkbook and charges. I don't need all the 100s of NEW features for tracking my investments, graphing everything in seventeen different forms. Back in the 90s they even got the banks to change to a new form of download files so you couldn't use the older versions of Quicken at all.

So when I'm offered (as I am almost every day via email) the latest greatest version of even $50 software, let alone $1400 stuff, for $.10 on the $1.00, it gives me pause for thought.

Joseph McAllister
Lots of gear, not much time