From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Bob W
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 3:06 PM
To: 'Pentax-Discuss Mail List'
Subject: RE: ANY M42 DSLR rumors (yet)?

> I've an opinion on this too. (Full of 'em tonight! :-D
>
> Does anyone believe Leica's bodies and lenses justify their
> obscene prices, from
> a manufacturing and assembly cost standpoint? Is there THAT
> much labor in either
> one?

You're paying 80% of the money for the 20% quality increase you get over
the
competition. Once a certain level of quality is reached, the cost of
making
it even better rises out of proportion to the cost of the baseline, so
speak.

Professionals who buy them must think the price is justified. Magnum
photographers, for example, are not fools. It's unlikely that the
prestige
of them cuts a lot of ice. Amateurs don't have to justify them.

Professionals and amateurs alike are also entitled to enjoy the history
&
romance attached to owning a Leica, and the pleasure of using (or even
just
admiring) a beautiful object. I think it was Ruskin, or perhaps William
Morris, who said 'You should have nothing in your house that is not
useful
or beautiful'. Leicas are both useful and beautiful. Part of their
beauty is
their prestige, I suppose.

My watch is a very nice Tag Heuer, and I know other people who have
Rolexes,
Breitlingers and Omegas. These watches are all beautifully made. None of
them tells the time any better than the £25- plastic Timex I also own.
Few
people can justify owning these watches on utilitarian grounds - even
scuba
divers can get perfectly good diving watches for a lower price - but
they're
beautiful, well-made objects which work extremely well. The appeal of
Leicas
is the same sort of thing.

> Are they essentially hand made, like some outrageously
> expensive cars are? Some
> of the well-known marques are essentially hand made and hand
> fit, with
> incredible number of man-hours in them. Is it like that way
> with Leica? At least
> their renown M series rangefinders and lenses?

I think (but don't know) that they are hand assembled and finished. In
the
days of the M3 and M2 I believe they were hand made even unto the parts,
but
in an effort to reduce costs they started making parts to a degree of
tolerance, from cheaper materials (presumably obtainable in this solar
system), beginning with the M4-2.

I have an M3 and an M4-2, and the M3 does feel better quality. That's
not to
say that the M4-2 is not also very high quality.

Both of these cameras are likely to outlive me. The M3 is 50 years old
in
August next year and still works beautifully.

My lenses are from 1970 (50/2 Summicron) to 1994 (35/1.4 Summilux), and
they
all work perfectly well on my 2007 M8 digital body as well as on the
film
bodies. The optical quality of the lenses is outstanding.

If you assume the M3's cost when new was roughly equivalent to the cost
new
of an M8.2 today - £3,990 - then it has cost about £80 per year, £1.60
per
week or 23p per day. That's not much for such a nice object. It's a lot
less
than I pay for my lunch, which lasts about 5 hours.

Bob

> It seems to me they're on the perpetual brink of bankruptcy
> because they're too
> bloody expensive except for those professionals (well off or
> otherwise) who
> simply must have a Leica, not because they're honestly that good...
> Capable and durable? So it seems, but worth the tab? That's
> the question.
> It seems you're primarily paying for the name, as with many
> products, but the
> purchase price of a Leica seems untoward, for what you're getting...
>
> Just my opinion...not necessarily the truth. <g>

follow the directions.