Charles Robinson wrote:
On Nov 21, 2008, at 17:01, Doug Franklin wrote:

It looks like an old "ThinNet" patch panel full of female BNC connectors for patching together old 10Base2 Ethernet networks. If so, it's probably early 1980s but could be anywhere in the range of about 1977 to 1990.

Definitely coax similar if not identical to 10-Base-2... I heard it was for patching something-or-other for a MAINFRAME somewhere in the building, so it might pre-date Ethernet. It was pretty dark in there so I never read the type of cable so I'm not 100% sure what it was used for.

In that case, it might be SNA networking for 3278-series (and previous) terminals. As I recall, they used a thin coax very similar to ThinNet wiring. As opposed to the 5520 and 5250 series that used twinax cabling.

One of the reasons I pegged it as ThinNet originally was the terminators so prominent on some of the "drop" connections.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)