Parent, actually, raccoons are raised entirely by the female. At least that's a better reason than the litter of kits, I helped rescue a few years ago. We went through one of our periodic outbreaks of rabies in wildlife and raccoons rightly or wrongly were seen as a major vector. People started putting out poison bait, there were lots of orphans.

Brendan MacRae wrote:
Yes, he's a raccoon. He was born with an eye defect
and was abandoned by his parents. The screech owl in
the photos suffered the same fate.
-Brendan
--- Brian Walters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

That's a nice set of images.  Congratulations.

I really like the one of the raccoon behind bars. It really looks like a captured burgler!
(I'm assuming its a raccoon - my knowledge of
American wildlife is
basic, at best).

Cheers

Brian

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 19:02:20 -0800 (PST), "Brendan
MacRae"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
I had six more photos published recently in the
same
magazine as last time, Sierra Heritage.

This time the story profiled the good men and
women
who perform animal rescue services on behalf of
the
California Dept. of Fish and Game.

Not the most stunning photos, but it was a fun
experience. The best photos were actually cut from
the
spread. They were of a couple who rescue fawns and
while disappointing, I suppose photo editors have
their own agendas.

http://www.primelensphoto.com/animal_rescue/index.html
All of these photos were shot with the K10D and on
camera 540 flash. All were captured with the DA*
16-50, a lens I'm starting to love.
Comments encouraged.

-Brendan

http://www.fastmail.fm - Access your email from home
and the web

directly above and follow the directions.

You get further with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.
        --Al Capone.