Trying a loupe, rather than relying on tests and other commentary, would
be ideal, just as trying a lens before purchasing it.  But you're right,
it's not every camera shop that's going to carry an assortment of loupes
for people to try.  Even here in the San Francisco area there is a
dearth of loupes.  I've been wanting to try the Mamiya 4x~12x zoom, and
it's not available at any store I checked.  Likewise other more
expensive loupes or specialized loupes, including just about all the
loupes with a magnification of more than 5x or so.

It's interesting that you found the pentax loupe to be inferior to the
Pentax, while I, and several others, feel the pentax is equal to or
better than the Schneider.  I suppose, just like with lenses, absolute
numbers don't tell the whole story, and one's personal preferences and
physical characteristics, as well as outside influences, such as the
light box, whether you view slides or negatives, the skirt on the loupe,
may all influence the user's final perception and comfort level with the
item.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]