At "portrait" distances (say 4 to 6 feet) or at mid-range say 10 feet),
just how different is the angle of view of the subject lenses? I've seen
test reports that suggest that the "77" is actually a bit longer than that,
and the 85 is not quite that (at least close in, due to the IF), so they
seem like they might be virtually identical in focal length at such focus
distances.

Since I use my 85/1.4 essentially only at 10 feet and closer, but I
sometimes _carry_ the lens long distances, the lighter-weight Limited lens
seems quite attractive. Because the 85/1.4 is--really--the bulk of my
"family" kit, I carry it sometimes when I'm hiking with medium format gear
(my "I will Create Art" kit), even though, on those occasions, I also often
carry one member of the family. My four year-old daughter is unlikely to
grow lighter; I wonder if my "family" kit should.

I enjoyed the linked photos, but I still can't decide to sell an excellent
lens and buy another excellent (lighter, but shorter?) lens, especially if
the focal length is significantly shorter than the length (and what length
is that?) that works for me. I'm sorta-kinda leaning towards
self-enablement. Should somebody stop me?