On Nov 28, 2008, at 9:57 AM, frank theriault wrote:

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hah! Just bought a Bill Evans compendium recording the other day. Wonderful
stuff. :-)

Bill Evans is one of my favourite jazz players.

Quite the tragic figure (I think he died at 51 after decades of drug
abuse - mostly heroin then coke IIRC), he was to my mind one of the
most influential musicians of the 20th century.  Along with Keith
Jarrett and Herbie Hancock, he's in my Triumvirate of Piano Gods - a
purely subjective opinion, I understand, as there are pretty good
arguments that people like Bud Powell, Errol Garner, Fats Waller and
Thelonious Monk and many others might well be in there.  But, whoever
else is on the list, Bill Evans deserves to be there.

Enjoy your compendium - you're right, it ~is~ wonderful stuff!

I have Monk, Waller and Garner too.

Keith Jarrett ... omigod ... "The Koln Concert" has been a constant favorite of mine since the early 1980s. Just Superb.