In a message dated 13/12/01 13:39:12 GMT Standard Time, Malcolm writes:

<< John wrote:
 An lost/damaged shipment rate of 1 in 20 is extremely common amongst
 all the major carriers operating from the USA. Our shipping companies
 may be the last bastion of the old "we don't give a s**t" method of
 quality control.

 My reply:

 This is just not acceptable today. Why should we expect a poor service at a
 high cost?

I was rather surprised at this figure, but I suppose that John was speaking
of couriers operating from USA. I think when we used Parcelfarce (UK Post
Office "courier" arm) the delays were interminable, packages were claimed as
lost then turned up when PF couldn't trace. By all accounts, they have
improved, somewhat. I think in 3 years of importing, we might have had one
parcel slightly damaged. This is as much to do with the skills of the packers
as the bloody-mindedness of the shipping agent.
 OTOH, I do agree very much that the level of service received often does not
warrant the expense involved. And I understand both UPS and Fedex just raised
their prices by 3.5%.

Kind regards from sunny Brighton

Peter