On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Stan Halpin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Agree - interesting story Mike. I wonder a bit at the emphasis on the
> photographer though. The editor certainly bears some responsibility in
> making his/her choice of what image to use. The point of the story seems to
> question a photographer's freedom to provide some artistic interpretation of
> reality, opting instead for a narrower straight forward representation of
> the portrait subject. As though there were only one reality. Whereas there
> are in fact many realities, ranging from the subjects' many self-images to
> the public's understanding of the subjects to the editors or photographers
> understanding of who the person is. Why should the photographer be the fall
> guy? It should be the bill payer (subject or editor) who determines which
> reality should be portrayed.  IMHO.
>
> stan

I'd tend to agree. A portrait photographer is NOT a reporter or
journalist and operates under a different set of ethics. And in
general the portrait photographers mentioned do so very clearly.

Jill Greenberg is an exception in that on the McCain incident. What
she did was clearly contrary to what the Editor requested. Of course
if the Editor had done some proper homework they would have known that
she's a known publicity hound with no regards for her subjects at the
best of times.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca