Why don't you give "dad's" old meter a try first? If it works at all it is
probable pretty accurate. If it isn't then you can think about replacing it.
If you do, I suggest spending a little bit more than you are thinking of and
getting something a little more versatile. The Sekonic L-308 b (or b II)
that Aaron and I like often can be had for about $200 used and gives you
flash metering capability as well as being pocket sized and using one AA
battery for power.

About the best meter for hot lights and incident metering is the Sekonic
Studio Deluxe meter in its various guises. The current one is the L-398 I
believe, previously it was called the L-28, and long ago it was the Norwood
Director. It has probably been in production longer than any other meter,
there must be a reason. Usually sells used for about what you are wanting to
pay, an L-28 can sometimes be found for $50 or so. They don't use batteries
at all. I've owned two of them over the years.

Others will recommend other brands. I have no experience with them, my
Sekonics have served me well over the years. Before the Sekonics I used a
Weston Master but those are more collector's items than users today.

Ciao,
graywolf