To anyone that's still interested!

Thank you to all the people who responded to this question - very useful.

Experiment:
I thought I'd give a quick update based on the test I finally got round to
performing:
1. Set the MZ-S NOT to fully pull a completed film back into the canister
2. Take a manufacturer-rolled Delta400 (DX-coded) film and shoot 10 shots
3.  Rewind the film
4.  Using a dark bag, pull these shots out into a tank and expose -  leave
some leader on the unexposed part of the film
5.  Shoot the rest of the film - but DON'T rewind it
6.  Using a dark bag pull these shots straight out of the back of the
camera into a tank and expose
7.  Check the difference

Rationale:
The reason for running the test in this way is that it eliminates
everything that I've had suggested as a possible cause of the imprinting
problem i.e. DX/non-DX coding, film-type, film-batch etc.  If the first
part imprints and and the other doesn't you KNOW that it's being printed on
the rewind - there are no more variables (except the shape of the leader -
I can't think that this has anything to do with anything - particularly as
others a bulk loading without error).

Results:
Sure enough, all those people who stated that the data imprinting is done
on the rewind were bang on the money.  It was the failed rewind that was
the problem NOT the failed imprint.

Conclusion:
Dodgy canisters?  Not sure - was using plastic Jessops cannisters and
someone did say they'd seen problems with them sticking.  Have now run a
dozen or so steel canisters from bulk without a problem.  I will run some
more tests on this as it may just be that I am being much more careful now
with rolling and loading  ;-)

Footnote:
I am a bit disappointed that Pentax misguided me (I deliberately prodded
around the topic with their UK 'expert' and he ASSURED me that they
imprinting was done on shot - not rewind.)  However, I would like to stop
sounding  moaning for 2 seconds to say how much I LOVE the MZ-S - it is an
absolute joy to use (although I am still learning to get the best out of
it) - a friend of mine has recently got a Dynax7 (too many menus!!!) so
I'll be intrigued to do some comparison.  I know it's one loads of awards
but I like the ergonomics of the MZ-S - SOMEONE HAS CLEARLY THOUGHT ABOUT
SOMEONE QUITE IMPORTANT - THE USER!!!!!  This may sound obvious but it is
all too rare.

Cheers
P.

Paul Wilkinson
ELA Digital Content Service Centre of Excellence
1 Kingsway, London

DDI: +44 (0) 207 844 7935
Mob: +44 (0) 7973 489 353

original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.