> "Showdown" is almost too colourful.  The bright colours lend a
> somewhat festive air to a very serious situation.  I wonder how it
> would work in B&W?

Frank, thanks for the comments.  Actually, the atmosphere at this protest
did turn out to be one of friendly rivalry and a bit of a picnic, even
though a violent confrontation had been feared.  At previous protests the
"greenies" had chained themselves to trees, concreted themselves into roads,
and mounted giant tripods over roads with themselves perched at the apex.
Generally they were quite disruptive and it usually didn't end well.  A grim
showdown was anticipated in Eden, because of the presence of a  large
woodchip mill that exported to Japan.  But the industry and police were well
warned.  The loggers actually blockaded and frustrated the protesters and
kept them away from emotion-charged hotspots like the chip mill and forest
worksites.  The police made sure that nobody came to blows.  After a few
days of to-and-fro the protesters saw that they weren't making the big
statement they'd hoped for, packed up and went home.

You're right about cops, they are pretty much the same around the world.
It's the size of their firearm that sets the volume control of their
machismo.  Italian Carabinieri and their Indonesian equivalents prowling
airports and train stations brandishing machine pistols are definitely
scary, apparently too dangerous to even think of crossing.  London Bobbies
armed only with a radio and truncheon and wearing a tit-hat just beg to be
asked the time, they're so non-threatening.  Aussie cops with a pistol on
their hips are in the middle (except highway patrolmen with their squishy
little leather nazi-caps, even other cops hate them).

Regards, Anthony

(snip)