> I guess one of the reasons I keep considering one is that there are
> people who are very fast with them. Maybe it just takes some practice.

Actually it takes a LOT of practice. I personally believe daily practice is
necessary, even if it's only five or ten minutes' worth. Also, most people
who are fast with rangefinders don't necessarily focus them.

On the Leica M6 with the 35mm Summicron and selected other lenses you can do
what's called "prefocusing." What you do is practice looking at objects and
setting the approximate focus by feel. You reference infinity by pushing the
focusing tab all the way over, then learn how far back to draw the tab based
on your estimation of the distance from camera position you wish to focus.

It's actually possible to become quite good at this. At my best I was very
good at it. I once astonished Nick Zavalishin at the photo show in NYC by
taking his M6, pointing out an individual standing some distance away, and
setting the focus by feel (without putting the camera anywhere near my eye)
and then asking him to check me. I got it bang on.

For sure, people who raise the camera to the eye briefly, frame and shoot
and return the camera to a resting position all in one fluid motion (like
Cartier-Bresson used to shoot) are prefocusing by feel.

But it does take work....

--Mike