John Sessoms wrote:
In a message dated 12/6/2008 10:42:16 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: Incidentally, they also died so that you and I could live to a ripe old age and die a relatively meaningless death in bed. For this they deserve our deepest gratitude. These memorials simply annoy the Iraq war veterans that I know, and I do know a few.

BEING an Iraq War Veteran, it doesn't annoy me at all.

Nor does it annoy any of the veterans I know, even the ones who do still believe we are accomplishing something in Iraq.

War is bad, but unfortunately sometimes necessary.

But it does not honor the soldier to send him or her to war on false pretense.

Particularly a war for PROFIT espoused by those who never have, nor ever will, sacrifice anything themselves in pursuit of that war.
Well, I'm glad you're not annoyed, and I guess you know different veterans than I do. I'm also sorry you think you were sent under false pretenses, I can't change that. In every war there are those who profit and those who think they will, who are perfectly willing to let others take the burden. No human endeavor ever completely free of that. At least you had the choice to volunteer or not. I'm old enough that I wouldn't have had that choice, and that would have been to fight in a war that the political powers decided we shouldn't win, pretty much from it's inception.

--
You get further with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.
        --Al Capone.