In a message dated 12/6/2008 10:18:24 P.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
The international  space station's orbit is too low to seem  stationary.
You can  track it here.  I don't think it's been visible over California,
certainly not every night.
(Requires  Java).

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/index.html

Anyway  in spite of it's relatively large size, compared with other
satellites, it's  still tiny in the grand scheme of things and will look
like a star except  for it's rapid movement across the field of fixed
stars, if you can see it  at all. It is not built to be particularly
reflective.

The second  picture you've shown, if the object you're referring to is
the bright light  at the edge of the trees probably isn't the space
station, it would be too  bright.  Sorry I can't tell you what it is, I
can only tell you what it  probably isn't.

You can get predicted times for all visible satellites  from this page,
just go to configuration and input your location.  From  there you choose
the object you want to track and you'll get a list of times  and dates it
will be over your location.

http://www.heavens-above.com/?lat=0&lng=0&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=CET

===============
Thanks,  Peter. Been wondering, now got my neighbor wondering too. The second
photo is  pretty much the size it is. But it doesn't always appear quite that
circular.  Hard to explain.

Someone else wrote me off list and I guess the satellite  would move too fast
to be this thing, whatever it is. It seems to take about two  hours to move
across the sky, although I haven't literally timed it. I've just  been noticing
it off and on and noticing the approximate time I noticed  it.

Thanks for looking into it. I hope I can get a better shot somehow.  I'll try
again.

Later, Marnie

Warning: I am now  filtering my email, so you may be censored.