On 22/12/08, Bruce Dayton, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Yeah, many people with 4 wheel drive seem to forget that almost all
>cars have 4 wheel stop.  But the slippery surface doesn't work so
>well.  So SUV's usually have no advantage for stopping over other
>cars.

A vehicle with more than two driven wheels is able to slow down better
by using the gears, as the engine braking effect acts on all the driven
wheels - to a point. Most 4WDs have open differentials and so drive is
always transferred to the wheel with least grip - just what you don't
want. Vehicles with locking diffs are at a distinct advantage here.
Alternatively, vehicles with some form of traction control (like my Land
Rover) have a system that detects lost traction at a particular wheel
and applies small amounts of brake to that wheel, combatting the loss of
traction. In practice it works well.

Some 4WD vehicles have what is known as 'part-time' 4WD where only the
rear axle is driven until the front axle is engaged manually from inside
the cab, and maybe free-wheeling hubs from outside at the front wheels.
Others, like later Land Rovers and Range Rovers have three diffs - one
across each axle and one at the gearbox, all open - and known as 'full-
time' four wheel drive. The gearbox diff can be locked (closed) from
inside the cab on the fly, but this then only gives the same traction as
the part-time 4WD with the front axle engaged. Again, cross-axle diff-
locks are the ultimate.

As has been expressed here, it is the nut behind the wheel that lets the
whole thing down.

(from a 6 am ferry somewhere off the coast of Scotland, probably sent
via wi-fi sheep :)

--

Cheers,
  Cotty