On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Mark Roberts <msrobert...@ysu.edu> wrote:
> Adam Maas wrote:

>>> Reading between the lines of the main part of the article, and explicitly
>>> in
>>> the comments from Rowe Photo, it seems that slide film is going to be
>>> well
>>> and truly dead in the very near future. Looks like color negative will
>>> hang
>>> on for a bit. I think I detect a bit of "rose colored glasses" effect
>>> even
>>> there, though.
>>
>> I'd expect colour negative to die first.
>
> I would, too. But that article makes it seem that Kodak isn't thinking that
> way. Kodak is emphasizing Ektar, Portra and T-Max.
>
> Perhaps this is the way things are going for commercial photography: Even
> when film is used they're scanning it and working digitally, so the
> traditional benefit of reversal film (put it on the light table and see what
> you've got easily) may be outweighed by the benefits of negative film (wider
> latitude). Who knows?
>
> Maybe Kodak is just betting wrong. Wouldn't be the first time!

If they could come up with a C41 film that doesn't have cyan sky
issues, they could pull it off. TMax is crap though, unless you're
shooting sheet film. It's designed for Zonie use and pretty much
requires develop-time contrast adjustment.

I tend to use a lot of Portra and Tri-X along with Provia 100f and
Acros from Fuji and HP5+ and PanF+ from Ilford.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca