-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Cotty
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 5:20 PM
To: Pentax List
Subject: RE: EBay Buying

Mark gives sound advice. But Cotty's the name, Sniping's the game.

With all due respect, 60 seconds is far to much time to allow the
competition to reload the page and hit with a higher bid. My usual bid
time is at T-minus 12 seconds. My closest-to-auction-finish bid time was
T-minus 3 seconds. I'm confident I can do it down to one second, but
daren't try because I only bid on things I really want.

Hints:

I keep a small window at the bottom of the screen all ready to go with
the 'submit' button visible, a much larger window with the auction
towards the top of the screen. This can be reloaded at intervals to
confirm connection reliability. If it's REALLY important, a stand-by
computer is fired up and ready to go with windows ready and waiting, but
obviously (on my modem connections) would take twenty seconds to hook up
should the main machine crash / freeze / go U/S for any reason.

Guage connection delay by refreshing the auction page at intervals of one
minute, prior to the auction finish. EG if auction due to finish at
12:04:15, then try reloading the page at 12:02:15, then check 'auction
finishes in XXX' time for delay. If it says 'auction finishes in 1 minute
58 seconds, then you know it took 2 seconds for your reload to register
at the eBay end, and so will your bid.....probably. I do 12 seconds,
although I've been an adrenalin junkie recently with some 7 second hits.
Love it! If that don't unclog the arteries, nothing will!

Oh yeah, bid high, if you really want it, that is...

;-)

Cotty

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com