Malcolm Smith wrote:
Yet another of the jobs to do which has never been done, is to transfer my
slide collection to a format it can be sent via the computer, rather than
the post.

Last night I saw a Nikon Coolscan IV on eBay which was fairly local to me,
and I remembered that these were spoken of in favourable terms here. I was
about to bid and my wife asked me if it was compatible with our computer
(something I wouldn't have even thought about). Looking at the
specification, it appeared not and the Coolscan V doesn't mention Vista,
although it does say XP - so I presume it would run it. Of course, the
Coolscan V is a very different price to buy.

I've got upwards of 3000 slides to transfer and I still take slide film, so
a decent scanner is important.
A couple of questions. If I had bought the Coolscan IV, would I have been
able to use it with Vista, as there is such a price difference for the older
model? In 2009, is there a better alternative at a reasonable price?

Thanks.

Malcolm
I'm using that very scanner with Vista 32-bit right now. There is a Vista driver.

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14463

No 64-bit version, though. The Coolscan was the only reason I chose to stay 32-bit for now (says something about how much I like the scanner).

der...@iinet.net.au
http://members.iinet.net.au/~derbyc