It's pleasantly surprising, for once.

The black cartridges are about $7 at Sam's Club, and the color (5-ink)
are $15 INCLUDING 180 sheets of 4x6 paper. The TriColor for that little
portable of hers (HP PhotoSmart 335) is around $27 for small, $34 for
"high-yield" so I'm relatively happy.

If and when we need something more, um, "professional" I will look into
the multi-cartridge printers with individual inks.

Advice much appreciated!

Tony