I have a similar solution to your's.  I have two standard kits.

1.) Lo-light/Prime.  Three lenses:

   a.) A-24mm f2.8 (Ok. not the fastest or widest, but a lot of photographers
got by with a ~35mm aov on 35mm film as their widest lens for a long time,
mostly slower lenses than the 28mm with a lot slower film)

   b.) FA-43mm f1.9 (as a longish normal, an AOV I always rather liked).

   c.) M-85mm f2.0, (damn I wish Pentax'd made an A version of this lens).

The lenses fit in a small bag I have that holds 2 small lenses or one small
lens and a converter, extra bateries, a filter or two, cleaning cloth and an
extra SD card or two. The camera with one lens mounted stays in my hand

The afore mentioned lenses sit ready to go in the bag.

The lenses fit in a small bag I have that holds 2 small lenses or one small
lens and the converter, extra bateries, a filter, (circular polorizer), or two,
cleaning cloth and an extra SD card or two. The camera with one lens mounted
stays in my hand.

If I might need longer I'll either substitute the M-120mm f2.8, take along the
F 1.7x converter or I might take the [K]-135f f2.5 if the extra weight isn't
going to be a problem, though then I'll have use a real photo bag.

If I knew was going to shoot portraits or be in really constrained spaces I'd
substitute a fast 50mm for the 85mm, and the M-35 f2.0 as a more "normal"
normal lens, (I use the M because the FA 35 f2.0 was two rich for my blood when
I was buying it and now seems to be unavilable).

All the kit variations except the 135mm fit in the same kit bag...

2. The second Kit is for maximum versatility, in focal length.

a.) SMC Pentax  FA 20-35mm f4.0, (small light, not as wide as some "normal
zooms" on APS-C but very sharp and well built).

b.) SMC Pentax  FA 28-80 f4.0, (matches the 20-35 in everything except build).

c.) SMC Pentax F 70-210mm f4.0~5.6, (built like a tank, best image quality I've
seen from a zoom, 1:3 reproduction for macro work) but a bit slow, or vmc
Vivitar S1 70-210 f2.0~4.0. (also built like a tank, though a light tank, more
than good enough image quality, with 1:2.2 reproduction ratio for macro work,
some exposure issues).

If I need to fill out the long or short end I will throw in a 17mm f4.0
fisheye, (not  very fishy on APS-C, but sharp enough in a pinch and very
compact), and the SMC A*300mm f4.0 and 1.7x adapter).

All of this, (well if I use the Pentax 70-210 zoom, the Vivitar is a relitive
beast), including one body will fit into a Sundog flat pack style bag that I
picked up reciently, (like new used, I doubt they still make them), with
pockets for batteries cards filters remote release a filter or two, etc.

I have other bags for other purposes and lenses but those two kits are the most
used at the moment.