"E. van Ginkel" wrote:

> It's a nice cheap scanner with a solid feel to it. I have one and the scans
> look nice, but there is one major drawback. It slow beyond belief.
> Its a parrallelport scanner and it takes about 11 minutes to make an scan on
> its highest (1770dpi) resolution. The software is not all that bad maybe a
> bit too Windows 3.1-ish. The PC the scanner is connected to is a 1GHz AMD
> Thunderbird with 512mb of memory, so thats is not the one which slows it
> down.

Some years ago I had the chance to try one of these scanners and it
didn't scan so slowly. Perhaps you should check the configuration of
your computer BIOS, and see if you have configured your parallel port as
"compatible" (i.e. slow unidirectional mode). In that case, you should
change the PC parallel port mode to "ECP", this is the bidirectional
mode, much faster, which uses a DMA (direct memory access) channel,
usually DMA channel 3 or 1, to speed up the access to the devices you
connect to such port.
Regards,