On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 00:32:09 -0600 (CST), Chris Brogden wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Doug Franklin wrote:
>
> > I'd love to see the graphs their labs have of current/internal
> > resistance during a "catastrophic discharge" like a dead-short.  You
> > _know_ they do those tests.
>
> How would a curious person go about trying this at home?  :)  Is there a
> nice and easy way to make a battery do this?

OK. And no shitting. Step one is to get a _very_ efficient fume hood.
Do some research and see if someone has published exactly what comes
out of those bad boys when they vent, but you're _going_ to vent the
crap out of the cell (battery) doing the test.  It may be harmless
gasses, but I would _NOT_ bet on it, since the cell is full of cadmium,
nickel, and/or some other biochemical nasties.

Step two is the equipment under test.  Part two.one is a NiCd cell or
battery (cell makes the computations easier).  Part two.two is a piece
of #8 AWG (or larger) copper or silver wire long enough to connect the
cell's (battery's) positive and negative terminals. [I've seen a
battery pack burn #12 AWG stranded copper wire clean through.  You
might want #4 AWG or larger.]  You need wire that can take a couple of
hundred amps of continuous current for up to a minute or two, for
safety's sake.

Step three, if you're interested in real measurements, is the
measurement apparatus.  You're going to have to measure cell (battery)
internal resistance indirectly by measuring the current through and
voltage "drop" across the cell (battery) as the test progresses.  I
don't know enough electronics to say much more than that.  My guess is
that you need a couple of integrating scopes that can tell you the area
under the voltage and current curves and record the data they capture
during the test.

Step four is some cannon fodder (e.g., the next-door neighbor's idiot
kid who's after your daughter) to actually hook up the "dead short
wire" and the measurement probes. :-)

Step five is to connect the wire across the terminals of the cell
(battery) and get the hell out of the way while the scopes record the
data.

Step six is to analyze the recorded data to calculate the cell
(battery) internal resistance changes over time.

I'd caution _strongly_ against breathing any of the gasses, vapors, or
anything else emitted from the cell (battery).  Let it "burn down"
until it's not only ceased any electrical activity but also cooled back
down to "human" temperatures.  I've never measured it, but I've seen a
shorted pack draw blisters on the pit crew's hands before.

Entomb the remains in the most chemically resistant container you have
and take it to a battery recycler.  Radio Shack will recycle batteries,
but I doubt they'll take a plastic bag full of cells, juice, and
emitted solids. :-)

TTYL, DougF