At 06:39 PM 12/20/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Well, now, amazing as it must seem, the grand prize winner in popular
>photograpy's annual contest is a pentax user.  I personally can't stand this
>type of overmanipulated montage but someone must enjoy it. Anyone on the
>list have an opinion on this picture?

This is not what I would call a photograph - the end result is so far
removed from "photography". A montage, a collage, etc. but no longer a
photograph. I also don't find it particularly interesting. Last year's grand
prize winner was another over-manipulated digital collage. Bleah.

>What about the glamour first prize winner?  What is this, james bond
>circa 1974?

If I see one more composition with chrome spheres in a flat sea from Bryce
(or similar program), I'm gonna barf.

>On the other hand, the candid/humor winner is really piglishes and the
>photojournalism winner, the world beaten faces of those girls is just right.
>I won't even get into what is written on that pole!

I think the cheerleaders should have been the grand prize winner. Excellent
photojournalism.

--Mike Nosal