From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
Graydon
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:31 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Whats with recent Pentax Camera names?

This:

K1000, KM, KX, MX, K2, K2DMD, ME Super, LX, ME, MV, MV1, MG, ME F, Super
A, Super Program, Program A, Program Plus, A3, A3000, P3, P30, P3n,
P30n, P30t, P5, P50, SFX, SF1, SF7, SF10, SFXn, SF1n, Z-1p, PZ-1p, Z-1,
PZ-1 Z-5p, Z-5, Z-10, PZ-10, Z-20, PZ-20, Z-50p, Z-70, PZ-70, MZ-S MZ-M,
ZX-M, MZ-5, ZX-5, MZ-5n, ZX-5n, MZ-10, ZX-10, MZ-6, ZX-L, MZ-7, ZX-7,
MZ-30, ZX-30, MZ-50, ZX-50, MZ-60, ZX-60, *ist, *ist D series, K100D,
K110D, K100D Super, K200D, K-m, K2000, K10D, and K20D.

does not strike me as an example of an historical practise of ideal
nomenclatural disambiguation.

I'd consider "SF10" and "SFXn" to sound at least vaguely similar when
spoken; three P30s, many MZs, ZXs, Zs, PZs in there, too.

The original KM went out of production in 1977, and the folks who
remember it as an active product will be getting thin on the ground at
Pentax.  (Presumably especially in marketing.)

Also, to a kanji reader, KM and K-m are going to be obviously different;
if you can tell 鳥 and 馬apart as a regular thing (that's "bird" and
"horse" and I only know about this from having had to print Chinese
output in a previous life; I can neither speak nor read it) so I suspect
the folks at Pentax think the name is the same.

-- Graydon

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 05:56:02PM -0500, JC OConnell scripsit:
> when in the past did they have new models that "sounded" just like old

> models?
>
> JC O'Connell
> hifis...@gate.net

follow the directions.