Hi,

I used to have a 400mm A f/5.6 lens. I paid about that price for it
just about 4 years ago, in mint condition. I used it quite a lot - I
was rather surprised by how much. In particular, I used it to
photograph wildlife in South Africa, frequently with a T6-2X extender
and later with an A2X-L extender. These extenders are very well
matched to the lens. I tried it with a cheaper extender and the
results were poor and it was very difficult to use because of the
darkening of the viewfinder. I was using it with LXs and found that
the sports/action finder was of enormous benefit when using the lens
with extenders.

The lens letters you quote mean this:

K - manual focus without a switch for automatic aperture setting
A - manual focus with a switch for automatic aperture setting, so you
can use a camera with shutter priority or full program AE mode.
F - autofocus (includes the A capability as above)
FA - same as F. Later version. I don't know the differences (not an AF man).

There is also the M series which comes between the K and A series.
They are essentially compact versions of the K lenses.

---

 Bob