There is only one good way to resize. Do it in PhotoShop (or another
editing program), and don't allow the program to resample. In other
words, as the size of your print gets bigger, the ppi gets smaller. You
can get a good print at 300 ppi, but more is okay. I've made some 7x10s
at 550 ppi that were rather impressive. Don't resize to 300 ppi. Take
your scan and resize it to a dimension and let the ppi level fall where
it will. If it's below 300, choose a smaller dimension for the print.
Paul