On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:22:07 -0700, you wrote:

> If anybody has suggestions for good places to shoot in or
>around Naples (specially scenics and wildlife), I would be most
>appreciative.

If this is an annual trip, you probably already know a lot of
locations. But just in case you are unfamiliar, be sure to go up to
Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island. A 300mm or longer lens
is nice to have, but the critters are so used to people that I've got
great shots with 100mm and 200mm lenses. The time a raccoon ran
between the legs of a lady standing next to me I could have used a
24mm Macro.

Often the best bird photography at Ding Darling is at the crossdike
area, so be sure to park and stay awhile. Especially at high tide, the
shorebirds will assemble at the crossdike pond to feed. They'll fly
over from one side of the road to the other en masse, and if high tide
comes in late afternoon it can be quite a gathering. The sight of a
flock of Roseate Spoonbill passing over and lighting on the water in
front of you is impressive.

I haven't had any luck getting good shots at Ding while walking the
trails much further than a hundred yards beyond the far end of the
crossdike. There's lots more to see if you stay near the road.

Ding Darling is closed on Fridays. They open fairly late (about 8 or
8:30 a.m.) so don't plan on any sunrise shots. Oh, and there's no
restrooms beyond the entrance.

Corkscrew Swamp is a fine outing, also. I can't remember how close it
is to Naples. Corkscrew has a long boardwalk, about two miles or so. I
got some great shots of a barred owl and a pileated woodpecker there.

Koreshan State Historic Site, located on US 41, is a very interesting
visit, but for the buildings and the history of the inhabitants rather
than wildlife photography. The Koreshans were firmly convinced the
world is flat, and had the "scientific" data to prove it. An example
of the scientific apparatus they used to prove the world is flat is on
display.

I don't know how bad the mosquitoes and no-see-ums are this time of
year, but be prepared. No-see-ums are tiny, persistant biting insects
which love people more than anything in the world. They are immune to
the standard DEET insect repellents, but applying Avon Skin-So-Soft or
Adolph's Meat Tenderizer may help keep them away, and long pants and
long sleeve shirts help a lot also.

Collier-Seminole State Park is right at Naples. It is a worthy trip.
Take their boat ride down the Blackwater River  - you'll enjoy it. The
wildlife there is accustomed to human contact, so you may see some
good birding off at the edges of the main area, or maybe even a black
bear.

--
John Mustarde
www.photolin.com