VueScan is a completely standalone application. You can download an evaluation copy from
  http://www.hamrick.com/

A license key is available for $40 for the standard version, with one year of free updates, or $80 for the pro version with more features and unlimited free updates. I've been using it since Ed Hamrick released it for Mac OS almost 10 years ago, at the time it was $40 with unlimited free updates. Best $40 I have spent on software. It's the only scanning software I've used to drive all the scanners I've owned since I got it (it does a FAR better job than the original software Minolta offered with the Scan Dual II, for instance) and it provides me an alternative RAW conversion processor as well. Very useful.

Godfrey