they whom i call Fernando wrote:
If you have the chance take a look at this book at your local
bookstore, in the last chapter it includes contact sheets of Frank's
photos with his picks, you can also in which case he took more than
one photo, and which one got picked, and some crops (e.g. I didn't
know that this photo was originally shot in landscape orientation:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/2708910256_5239f73252_o.jpg ). I
found the whole exercise highly educational.

[delurking]

i went to the exhibit based on this book two days ago; it's at the National Gallery of Art in Washington DC:

<http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/frankinfo.shtm>

while i have a special interest in Frank, i think it would be well worth it for anyone -- in addition to the complete sequence from the book, the exhibit includes quite a few work prints, contact sheets, correspondence, etc. and a good amount of Frank's early work as well as some later pieces; even Kerouac's first and second drafts of the introduction (a second draft being somewhat unusual for Kerouac)

what's more, a small gallery next door has some unusual images by Ansel Adams, Robert Adams and Alfred Stieglitz

http://www.amazon.ca/Looking-Robert-Americans-Sarah-Greenough/dp/3865218067/ref=pd_sim_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1236649263&sr=8-1

oddly, that Amazon Canada entry doesn't call it "Expanded Edition", though you can faintly read that on the image -- there's a difference; while at the museum and resolved to get the Expanded Edition, which i think will keep me busy for a few years