Well, the photographs are lying because there where no glowing hands, UFOs, levitating candles or ghosts. They play with our tendency to believe what we see.

As Christian say I just did what all photographers do, choose the right angle, field of view, DOF etc. I manipulated the photographs to tell what I want them to and there is no fundamental difference between this and removing elements or distorting the images in PS later or in the camera when photographing. I removed objects by cropping, DOF and choosing lighting, just as effective as you can in a computer (or in the darkroom).

As you say photography is a mechanicle image of an object, but the important side of this does is in the sense of detail. It is simply impossible draw a tree with the same detail as a photograph. It does not remove the photographers choices, which always manipultes the image so that is shows us what he or she wants.

But I agree with you in that in some ways the photograph, treated in photoshop or not, is neutral until the photographer tells us that it shows some truth. An image is an image, until it is used to represent an oppinion, or a "truth".

DagT