Brian Walters wrote:
Also, what are the pros and cons of ball heads versus pan heads?

For me it all boils down to speed of (re-)setup. With a ball head there's only a single control to untighten & retighten to allow me to re-point the lens arbitrarily. With a pan head I found myself struggling with up to three controls to reposition and I'd miss shots.

But if you aren't in a hurry, I don't think it matters all that much. Pan heads give you the ability to make adjustments to one orientation aspect without disturbing the others. That might be more useful to you (eg: if you are stitching panoramas together).

-bmw