I have the Epson V700, which is rated to collect data at similar densities.

I did a number of tests to compare actual acquired data between it and the two film scanners I own, the Minolta Scan Dual II and Nikon Coolscan IV ED. These are rated at 2820 and 2900 ppi respectively. I found that the very best I can get out of the Epson V700 shows about 2600 ppi tops, more like 2400 ppi, where with the two film scanners the actual resolution is very close to the rated data density, probably at least 2800 ppi. I attribute this to a) no glass in the light path and b) a focusing lens system on the film scanners.

The lower actuance and slight gaussian defocus evident with the flatbed scanner has a minor side effect of softening dust and scratches on film, which can sometimes be handy. The images sharpen up nicely with Photoshop CS2's Smart Sharpen filter but that's not the same as having more detail to work with.

So scanning at 4800 ppi with the flatbed scanner is pretty much a waste of space in terms of actual data you'll acquire. I tried oversampling on scan and downsampling as Paul suggested ... I saw no difference in the end-product image quality scanning at maximum interpolated resolution vs scanning at 3200 ppi, and the maximum took four times as long and created needlessly enormous files to manage.

With either of the film scanners, I've been able to create excellent B3 Super prints of full-frame 35mm scans. It's not easy ... you need an excellent negative and careful attention to rendering to get around the issues of grain and emulsion defects, but it's possible. 8x10 to 11x14 sized prints are certainly much easier to produce.

It's important to remember that creating an 11x14 print from a 35mm negative is an 11x enlargement, at minimum, even optically in a darkroom. Most film max'es out at around 15x enlargement for decent quality. Adding the scanning process into the enlargement workflow adds a few percentage points of additional losses but allows appropriate digital image processing to help recover that, which can add up to a plus IFF you know what you're doing with image processing/ rendering. "Better a clean and beautiful 5x7 than a lesser 10x15."

Making quality prints is much more than just counting pixels and figuring dimensions ... !

Godfrey