That's interesting, but let me ask this.  I'll do it rhethorical fashion.

When I scan a 35mm slide with my 2438ppi scanner, what part of the 20+
megabyte file would I choose as being inconsequential to the image?

And now with the 4000ppi scanners it seems there is even more data to be
found in a 35mm frame.

Tom C.

<snip>