1) I'm glad I'm not the olny one using VCRs in the world - my Phillips is immune to flashes :-)

2) It's not just the SLR, a humungous photo bag helps too, at the expense of your back.

2a) Being a film critter so far, can't comment on digital prints, but there is a program called Genuine Fractals or something like that supposed to enhance your print sizes with out-of-range resolutions - I'll give it a try as soon as my DS arrives home. But I'd avoid huge prints for the first jobs - tell them more small photos is the new trend. Just be grand and don't charge extra (again) for the extra prints.

2a') OTOH, fine grained film is hard to beat - assuming the light is proper, the lab still remembers film and the service is paying you enough for the extra custom quality only film can deliver... ;-)

2b) That one is easy - all the traffic will bear. Serious now, you need to know how much is the service paying to other photographers. Call two of them and ask of the price they would charge you for the same service, find the medium (is that a word?) price then multiply by 1.3. {[(price #1)+(price #2)]/2}*1.3 = your price. Prices vary with location, and you should call locals. Of course, you can always say it's a service costing $$ where you come from - I do that all the time I'm traveling. Ops, not when I'm in the US... it would be illegal for me to work there.

LF

D. Glenn Arthur Jr. escreveu:
1)  A full-power blast from a Vivitar 5200 flash pointed at
    the ceiling, will cause my Magnavox VCR to eject its
    cassette.  (I guess I know it's throwing off IR ... but
    I was pretty sure of that already.)

2)  Always carrying an SLR around provides a handy clue for
    folks looking for a photographer to do a family portrait.

2a) This'll be the second gig in a row since getting the *istD where I'll be shooting film. Huh. (Client wants a poster-sized print and wallets -- please do correct me if I'm wrong, but my thinking is that for a 20"x30" print, I probably want to be using a fine-grained film instead of the *istD ... right? I know 300 dpi is a
    good rule of thumb for most prints, but assuming most
    folks don't stand that close to a print that large,
    what's a good minimum resolution to aim for in a poster
    sized portrait?)

2b) As usual, I have no $#%^ing idea what a reasonable rate to charge is. Gonna attempt to Google up a clue.

                                        -- Glenn

PS:  Sorry to be absent from the list so much.  Health issues,
many days feeling zombie-like, behind on pretty much all forms
of communication.

Luiz Felipe
luiz.felipe at techmit.com.br
http://techmit.com.br/luizfelipe/